From Salem Wiki
Can be sold in Boston to NPC vendors for 8 Silver Pieces.
How to Tan Hides
- Place a raw hide on a Drying Frame. It'll become a Dried Hide after 8 hours.
- Use Lime on a Bucket of Water to make Milk of Lime
- Craft Limed Hide from the craft menu
- Use a Brain on a 10L Bucket of Water to make a bucket of 10L Tanning Fluid (concentration is 5%).
- Place up to four Limed Hides into the tub
- Pour the Tanning Fluid into tanning tub and wait. Make sure to add 10L of Tanning Fluid per hide you wish to tan.
- Every time a hide tans 100% it consumes 10L of Tanning Fluid and is converted into Leather. There's a chance of getting Foetid Ooze instead, if that happens the Tanning Fluid will not be consumed.
- Whilst on the Drying Frame or Tanning Tub a faint white dial appears over the hide icon to indicate its progress. Animal hide takes roughly 8 (real) hours to dry and to tan.
- Solution concentration doesn't affect tanning time. High concentration raises resulting leather quality a little bit.
- Plain water can be added to the tanning tub if it's not empty.
- Adding plain water dilutes the solution requiring a brain to be added. If the solution falls under (5?)%, the hides will not tan.
- A Brain can be added directly to the tub if the solution falls under this concentration to bring it back up. Maximum concentration is 10%.
- Brains are only acquired with butchering a dead deer, beaver or March Hare, and only after Tanning is learned.