Gluttony is the process by which a pioneer in the new world raises their maximum humour values.
To raise a humour during gluttony, a pioneer must eat Food to gain influence equal to his or her highest humour value, which will raise one of the maxed values by one point.
Activating Gluttony Mode
To activate gluttony, current humour values must be full. When gluttony is available, a new icon folds down below the humour-bars. Clicking the bar changes the mouse pointer to a fork, and any edible item can be left-clicked to consume it for gluttony. Moving, even to open a container, will cancel gluttony.
Consuming Food in Gluttony Mode
Once a food is consumed during gluttony, a random event (salt, mercury, sulphur, or lead) happens to determine the amount of influence gained on the gluttony diamond. If the influence value is in excess of the highest maximum humour value a pioneer has, then he or she will immediately gain one point in whichever humour has exceeded the value. The influence diamond will then reset to zero. Any excess influence does not carry over.
If the event did not cause influence to exceed the pioneer's maximum humour value, the influence diamond will immediately start to decrease. More food must be eaten to continue to gain influence in the diamond. Eating different foods during gluttony mode will slow down the drain in influence between eating items.
If eating a food causes two humours to exceed the highest value, one of the two humours will be randomly chosen to be increased.
Note that it's a good idea to plan ahead before entering Gluttony Mode, so that you can:
- Strategize. Plan combinations of food that are more likely to raise a particular humour value. This will lead to less wasted food and better-planned humour values.
- Raise humours at a relatively steady rate. Keeping all humours balanced means that less food will be required to raise the lower-valued humours. For example, if a pilgrim's Blood (a very easy humour to raise at the start of the game) is raised to 10 before raising any other humours, those other humours will all require 10 points, rather than 5, to advance -- Gluttony's effectiveness will have essentially been halved.
Every food item has a list of each random event's likelihood of occuring during gluttony. These are divided into four categories (salt, mercury, sulphur, and lead), which are also represented as colors in the "Events" portion of the consumable item's info box.
- These are listed as
Four lines of colored text are listed that show which influences are gained during the event. These numbers represent how much influence in each humour is gained on the diamond when the item is consumed. The numbers are shown in order of Blood, Phlegm, Yellow Bile, Black Bile. This means that the influence values in the columns, from left to right, will correspond to the humours in your main display, read counter-clockwise, starting with Blood.
The number shown in the diamond upon consuming a food item shows which event occurred. 1 = Salt; 2 = Mercury; 3 = Sulphur; 4 = Lead
The Roasted Chestnut shown in the picture will have the following effect:
- A pioneer has a current value of 5.0 in all four humours and consumes the Roasted Chestnut.
- The percent chances of each event are listed in the item's tool tab: Salt 32.6, Mercury 2.6, Sulphur 40.0, Lead 24.8.
- A sulphur event occurs, adding 10.7 influence to Blood and 4.3 influence to Black Bile. Since 10.7 exceed the highest humour value (5.0), Blood is immediately raised to 6.0.
Recommended Gluttony Food
Here are some good foods to use in Gluttony mode to get you a good start at raising your humours.
- Blood - Virtually any prepared meats, Roasted Chestnuts, Autumn Delights, Lavender Blewits, Lobster Mushrooms.
- Phlegm - Sizzled Slugs, Milkweed Roots, Wild Garlics.
- Yellow Bile - 'Shrooms-on-a-Stick as starter, fill the rest with Lavender Blewit, Autumn Delights, Wortbaked Wartbites, Filet on the Rocks.
- Black Bile - 'Shrooms-on-a-Stick, Witch's Hats, Filet on the Rocks, Blackberries.
There are many food items which build up Blood bile. You can use Devil's Wort to reduce Blood influence during gluttony.
For more information on different foodstuffs, and a comprehensive list of what food gives what events, please refer to Food.