Each artifact and each item of clothing have an number of Proficiencies that they are associated with. If there is a proficiency-match between an artifact and clothing, then it will be easier (lower chance of failure) to attach the artifact to that slot.
Clothing and Artifacts also have Difficulty ratings, listed as a high and low number. When there is a proficiency match, the low number is used. If there is no match, the larger number is used. The difficulty rating of the Artifact and the Clothing are then added together to provide the Total Difficulty of that particular slotting.
- More powerful artifacts tend to have higher difficulties.
- More valuable clothing has lower difficulties, and more slots.
Artifice Bonus Effects
Each Artifact gives a bonus to one or more Artifice types, their effects are as follows:
- Allows players to "Push" players with lower Affluence and to enter certain buildings in Providence. The number of seeds obtained form harvesting a Tobacco field is dependent upon the affluence of the Tobacco Farmer harvesting it.
- Increases the bar yield when smelting and crafting bars.
- Blunt Defence
- Defends against Club, Uppercut and Punch
- Blunt Power
- Increases power of Club, Uppercut and Punch
- Common Combat Defence
- Similar to common combat power, this affects defense against all attacks.
- Common Combat Power
- Affects all attacks the player can make. Highly desirable.
- Decreases the amount of Black Bile drain taken when committing crimes.
- Enables the bonuses that come from Gobble Points. For every 10 points in this artifice after 100 you are enabled to use the bonus. So if you have 150 Feasting you may able to get bonus humour point from every point 10 to 15 and no bonus if you go further. See Gluttony for more info.
- Feral Defence
- Affects defense against all animal attacks.
- Impact Defence
- Defends against Cleave, Leg Sweep and Roundhouse Kick
- Impact Power
- Increases power of Cleave, Leg Sweep and Roundhouse Kick
- Lowers the phlegm when mining a mine tile, increases the Purity of boulders that are pulled from the wall and lowers the hardness of rubble.
- Piercing Defence
- Thrust defense.
- Piercing Power
- Thrust offense.
- Adds a pocket to your clothes, an extra inventory space that allows teleporting even when full.
- Bonus to all Civilian bonus categories. This includes Alloying, Feasting, Mining, Soil Digging, Weaving, and Woodworking.
- Increases the chance for to get double items when foraging. (Official Statement of the Chance by JohnCarter)
- Adds a bonus slot to an item of clothing when successful.
- Soil Digging
- Increases speed to digging. +10 Soil digging confers approximately a 2% bonus per tick of digging.
- Assumed to affect witchery somehow (?).
- Reduces the amount of cotton needed to create cloth.
- Increases success chance for tasks like Planing boards and the odds of getting Amber Resin.